Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

To FanX, or not to FanX?

I'm depressed, and I blame Comic Con.

Salt Lake Comic Con 2014 was an exhausting experience. So much so that I am still mentally, physically, and yes, even spiritually drained. I can't even muster the strength to go outside of my house anymore, so I thank the good lord (if you believe in that sort of thing) for Amazon Prime!

Trying to get through 120,000 comic fans at this last years event at the Salt Palace Convention Center took the life out of me, and I often found myself crashed in the press room, instead of out on the floor where I should have been. A job is a job, but this was a bit too much. There simply wasn't any space to stop and get a good interview with anyone, or a photo of anybody. I had better luck outside of the building getting shots of people going to Subway.

Mind you, I am not complaining! I love a crowd, and the bigger the better...unless of course the building simply can't hold that many people without it turning into an episode of The Walking Dead by day two.

Now, just a few short months after what was one of the largest conventions ever seen on planet earth, we now have Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2015! Organizers Dan Farr and Bryan Brandenburg are promising attendees that this will be a much more intimate affair; only 50,000 people in the same space. If this holds, then this might actually be more fun than work should actually be, which also, I would not complain about.

The real question is this; should I?

I was so worn out from Comic Con 2014 in Salt Lake, that I have posted next to nothing about it! I am still trying to recover from the physical beat down of spending 45 minutes trying to get from one end of the building to the other, and do that 20 times a day over three days.

I might give it a go. I also might not. It's a hard sell to get anyone to go so close to the last one, when the last one depleted the collective energy of a thousand star systems.

I might also be suffering from Seasonal Salt Lake Can't See The Sun From The Ground Syndrome, or SSLCSTSFTGS (I need to work on getting some vowels into that), so I might actually be mildly depressed. I used to just travel up to Park City to get some sunlight, but the smog is so thick, that I can't see my car when I feel brave enough to venture outside.

Maybe going to FanX is exactly what I need. I could grab a camera operator and talk to some people, or maybe just walk around and take a few shots. Maybe, getting out is just what I need. Maybe getting out for some fresh air is what anybody needs...you know...except it will be smog instead of air.

See you at FanX...if I can find my gas mask.


David Danna

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!